2024-07-31

Wine Wednesday: The Rhinory Chenin Blanc 2019


 So there's this winery in Fredericksburg that's also a rhinoceros preserve. As in they have a live rhinoceros roaming the grounds. I don't really understand the connection. A lot of their wines come from South Africa, but that seems more in the nature of correlation rather than causation. But hey, conservation is good, and I'm all for it. 

Their wines are interesting. It seems like half their wines come from South Africa (as noted) and the other half from the Texas High Plains. Fredericksburg is in the Hill Country, not the High Plains, so again...somewhat confusing. When I was there they seemed to be pushing the South African wines pretty hard, but I'm something of a locavore when it comes to wine, so I ignored them.

The wines are pretty good. My husband actually likes their Chenin Blanc, which is always a surprise since he doesn't actually like/drink wine. My daughter (born and raised in California, long time resident of Washington state) who hasn't been impressed with any of the Texas wines I've given her (predictably) was not a fan. 

But I digress...

This Chenin Blanc (at five years old now) is probably a little past its peak. But it has a lovely nose--very creamy, a little citrusy, less lemon chiffon, more orange creamsicle (but NOT in a sickeningly sweet way) with hints of Asian pear. The color is a very light gold. The flavor is also light, maybe a little off-dry (my new favorite wine term, which I will now begin spouting constantly). There's some acidity--think green tea with lemon. 

I've read the tasting notes for this wine and they all mention tropical fruit. I don't get that. I would pair this wine with a crab boil or Linguine alle Vongole, possibly Navratan Korma. 





No comments: