2024-06-19

Wine Wednesday: Frisby Cellars Blanc de Blancs

 


Today's wine is a Frisby Cellars Blanc de Blanc that I picked up at their tasting room in Lake Forest, which might no longer be open. It's been awhile since I've been there but when I was living in SoCal, I used to go there regularly with my sister. 

The grapes come from the Lodi AVA, which I have not been to for somewhat silly reasons. There's a Lodi in New Jersey, and one in California (duh) and I don't know which one CCR was singing about, but I've rather avoided the AVA because of it, just in case. 

In any case, the color is a pale to medium gold. There are hints of vanilla and baked apple on the nose, which might lead you to think it's sweet, but it's not. Flavor wise it's dry, which of course is what you'd expect from a Brut, Champagne-style wine. You often hear some sparkling wines described as "biscuity" and I've never understood what that meant (is it biscuits like we think of here? Or does it mean the UK biscuit, which is a cookie?) This wine tasted biscuity to me (US version) and by that I mean the dry aftertaste. Which is not a bad thing! If it were a Chardonnay, I'd say it was buttery...which makes it even more biscuity, I guess. 

I found it to be surprisingly full-bodied (although still light and delicate).I think this might be due to the fact that it was a 2017 vintage and probably was intended to be opened earlier. But I picked it up in 2019 and there hadn't been that much to celebrate since. 

I opened it in honor of having finished Giada Mazzi is Living her Best Life, which is a book I was VERY excited to have finished. But now I'm going to have to find a NEW sparkling wine to have on hand for my next release.

No comments: