2023-12-13

Wine Wednesday post Wimberley Valley Winery Red Reserve


 Today's wine is the Red Reserve from Wimberley Valley Winery. It's a GORGEOUS winery--Big stone building, fabulous Hill Country views, AMAZING pizza. Unfortunately, while the land seems perfect for growing grapes, they source all their grapes from the Pacific Northwest (I think Washington?). Go figure. But the wine itself is made here and it's solid. Kudos to their winemaker, although I, personally, would skip the Blueberry. 

When I was there for a tasting, they told me they only use Stainless Steel barrels--no oak--but I'm thinking that's only the white wines. And, while I'm typically a big fan of really oaky Chardonnays, I have to admit that their whites were lovely and crisp and clean tasting. I was shocked to discover that I didn't miss the oak, at all.

However, I'm almost positive this Red Reserve is aged in oak. It just The nose is luscious. The description on the bottle says "strawberries" but I disagree. To me, it smells of ripe, dark cherries--possibly because I've held onto it for a year and a half--and maybe a touch of leather. I taste cherry and current, a little bit of spice. And, oh, the tannins!!  It has a nice deep, dry flavor to it with just a hint of sweetness to the finish. 

The color is lovely, as well. It looks exactly like grape juice. Actually, what it looks like to me is Manischewitz Concord wine. But please don't hold that against me--or the wine. It's a dark magenta shade that's too purple to be called garnet. They don't say what grapes go into it, but I would guess Nebbiolo. And maybe Merlot or Petit Syrah? Or possibly Grenach? 

The tasting notes on the bottle suggest pairing this with tomato sauce dishes or brie, but again I disagree. I think a charcuterie platter--baguette, salami, parmesan, olives, grapes, smoked almonds, maybe some of those dried-fruit-and-nut crackers--would let this wine shine.  

OR...the Sublime pizza they sell out of the food truck on the patio (fig jam, pistachio pesto, parmesan and feta cheeses, prosciutto, arugula, truffle oil and honey) which is only the best pizza I've ever eaten.

Also, they have a spiced wine, which is my favorite thing to drink in winter. 

I would definitely recommend this wine--and the winery itself. And I think I'm going to have to visit there again soon and replenish my "cellar". 





No comments: