2023-11-15

Wine Wednesday: Wine For the People's Dandy Rosé

 Rosé


Today's wine is from Texas, made from 100% Texas grapes. And I think I've found my wine philosophy twin...well, except she's a sommelier with years and years of experience and I'm not. Rae Wilson is all about the terroir (Quote: "Without a sense of place for wine, I could be doing anything." Yes! Exactly! Thank you!) and makes a lovely dry
 Rosé. 

The reason she started making wine was because it's (still!) nearly impossible to find local Rosés that are not too sweet (Preach, sister!). And also because, "The longer I lived here the more  [Rosé] I was drinking...and so I thought, this should be our Hill Country water."

All of which I completely endorse. I mean, sweet wine has its place...but that place is maybe in a bakery or on a dessert table, or occasionally at brunch. 

But I digress. Dandy Rosé is one of those crisp, gentle wines that you could (entirely too easily) drink like water. The fruit flavor is there, but elusive--this is NOT a fruit forward wine. Maybe dried peach and lemon zest? With a hint of minerality, maybe a hint of smoke. It's Texas. What can I say?

It was perfect with the "rustic fondue" I'd ordered at Dos Olivos in Buda. NB: Dos Olivos used to be known as Los Olivos and still is on most maps (and on some menu items) so...don't get confused like I did.

What IS a "rustic fondue" you ask? Well, for many people, fondue = cheese. And, for the good folks at Dos Olivos, this clearly holds true. And, since this is Texas, cheese = queso. So...basically, you're presented with a mason jar full of hot, smoky queso, that's been buried under a thick layer of jalapeño-raspberry preserves. And into which you dip triangles of toasted Naan bread. OR if you're lucky enough to be sharing your meal with someone who's ordered the (also quite delicious) LO Burger (LO = Los Olivos. See what I mean?) and they're willing to share, you can also drip some fondue onto a bite of burger and find yourself in a state of total foodie bliss. 

Anyway...the wine stood up to all those strong flavors and complemented them without overpowering them--or being overpowered. A minor enological miracle, IMO. And yes, I'll probably be drinking a lot of it next summer. Or, you know...now. Now's good, too. Thanksgiving's nearly here and I bet it would be amazing with turkey. 




No comments: