2023-11-27

Movie Monday: Spirited



Today I'm doing something a little different, I'm posting about a holiday movie! I love all the cheesy Christmas movies. I love writing cheesy Christmas books that I totally want to see turned into Christmas movies...okay, a lot of them are HOT menages, so...I'm guessing Hallmark won't be optioning them any time soon, but Christmas Angel turned out so unexpectedly sweet that...it is not outside the realm of possibility. 

However, that's not what this post is about. It's about last year's Apple Original movie, Spirited. It's from Benj Pasek and Justin Paul, the same musical writing team that gave us LaLa Land and The Greatest Showman--and I KNEW IT from the first number--their sound is unmistakable. But even before that, I fell in love with this rehearsal tape:



The movie is cute, the songs are catchy. The actors are...not especially noted for their singing and dancing, but they throw themselves into their performances and are such good sports that I don't care. They're fun to watch, regardless. And I was not a big Will Ferrell fan going into this film! 

The movie has been criticized for not having improved upon earlier versions of the story. Which is the silliest criticism I can imagine. No one's looking for a Christmas movie to be the be all and end all of holiday movies. We just want it to be magical and recognizable. Or, at least, that's MY opinion. YMMV, I suppose.

If you--like me--love all the usual tropes, you'll probably love this. If you're looking for something entirely different...well, good luck finding it, I guess?

I rate this movie 4.5 very enthusiastic stars. 

 

No comments: