2023-11-16

Thankful Thursday post for November 16, 2023

 


My list is going to be fairly short this week--reason being I have my grandson home with me today. He has a fever. I'm thinking it might be new teeth coming in? Possibly? Since he isn't complaining about anything else and he is of an age where losing baby teeth and growing new molars is to be expected.

I am thankful that I grew up with my grandmother--an RN--living with us. I don't stress over illnesses and I always feel like I know what to do when someone's sick, even though I do realize that Osmosis probably can't compete with years of actual medical training. Probably. I could also be channeling her, I suppose. Okay, that's mostly a joke.

BUT a funny thing did happen this morning when I was looking for a thermometer which I'm pretty sure I have. If you don't know me well, you might not realize how often I end up moving and how intensely disruptive I find it. I'm not fantastically organized. I've lost count of how many time I've gone to look for something only to realize I'm in a different house now and have no idea even where to look for it.

Which is why I was so certain I'd put the new thermometer in one of the drawers in my mother's Welsh Cabinet (China cabinet? Hutch? Dresser? Take your pick! It was hers and that's what she called it!) for safekeeping. 

I opened the drawer, removed the box that was right on top and proceeded to search through the drawer with no luck, and with the dawning recognition that I really didn't have any recollection of having ever put the thermometer in that particular drawer. So--check someplace else, right? Except, as I was replacing the box I'd taken out in the beginning, I happened to glance at the box and...well. Apparently it contained a thermometer. 

From the packaging, it appears to have been purchased in the 1970s at Genovese's Drug Store in Fort Lee, New Jersey. And I have no recollection of having put it in that drawer.

So...I'm thankful for time traveling thermometers, for Moms and Grandmothers, for magic (which this clearly was!) and medicine and for good health! Because you can never have enough of that!

I'm also thankful for how well the new Christmas Angel re-writes are coming along. It's going to be SO CUTE! I'm thankful for My husband whose birthday was Monday. For my wonderful kids who've been particularly inspirational this week. And for anyone reading this! 

And with Thanksgiving next week, I'm thankful for Thanksgiving songs like this one:





No comments: