2024-08-14

Wine Wednesday: Daou "The Pessimist"




 As I'm sure I mentioned I lived in Paso Robles for a time and am currently a member of a couple of Facebook groups that focus on PR and the wine industry there. So I've been hearing a lot about Daou in recent years. I was never there (or rather, it wasn't there when I was!) but I've been curious about their wine.

So when I saw one listed on a menu recently, I had to try it. And it did not disappoint.
The color is a dark, inky red--NOT purplish. It's mostly Petit Sirah, which I'm not all that familiar with, with a small amount of Zinfandel, which of course I love. Paso Robles Zinfandel is instant nostalgia for me. 

The nose has a lot of elusive notes--wild fennel, dried blueberry, something creamy...almost caramel-like, but without the buttery aspect.  It's smooth and while the tannins are obvious in the pronounced legs, but I don't taste the really BIG tannins that a PR Zinfandel can exhibit. 

When you taste it, you know right away that while it may look (and maybe even smell) like a cabernet, it doesn't taste like one. Here too, the flavor is elusive. You hear wine people talk about wine having layers, this is a wine that helps you understand what that word means. There's a juicy flavor that's hard to pin down. Maybe black cherry mixed with something more tart--pomegranate, or even cranberry. But I also taste lavender and maybe a tiny acerbic note of tobacco. That creamy scent is even harder to pin down in the taste. 

I can definitely understand the hype about this winery and I'm more anxious than ever to go there. I'm not sure what I'd pair this wine with ideally. Something simple and earthy--olives, cheese, good bread. I had it with a Bolognese pasta dish, and it was fine, but I don't think that pairing enhanced either one. 


No comments: