2024-08-20

Romance Writers Weekly ~ Summer-themed Flash Fiction ~ #LoveChatWrite



 This week, on the Romance Writers Weekly blog hop, we're asked to, "write a piece of flash fiction using the key words: lemonade, swimsuit, hammock."

I have a love/hate relationship with Flash Fiction. Writing short is NOT my strength. Add to that the fact that I always want to make everything short into something long and everything long into something longer... Well. Let's just say it's somewhat problematic.

Here's the funny part. I'm the one who suggested this topic. Shoot me now.

Anyway...here's a little thing I'm calling Summer Daze. It may or may not end up in one of two stories I'm working on for next year. Enjoy.

There are bees foraging among my grandmother’s rose bushes. I can hear the drone from where I am lying, stretched out in the hammock that has hung between these trees for as long as I’ve been alive. Longer, probably. Although I’m sure it’s not the same one.  It’s a little embarrassing that I can’t recall with any accuracy what the original (if it even was original) one looked like. When I was a teenager, I wouldn’t have been relaxing in the shade. I’d be toasting in the sun—or attempting to. Lying on a towel in my swimsuit, working on my tan, or trying to sun-bleach my hair with lemon juice. 

 

Given my Italian heritage, the hair lightening was a clear and obvious L. Unfortunately, so was the tanning. Also working against me was the fact that Nonna wasn’t a fan of me lying around in a state of undress when there were workers in the nearby fields. So, it’s not like I ever managed to give it a fair try. 

 

Ironically, Nonna did have a small point. I’m sure I’d have freaked tf out if I had attracted unwanted attention for real, but the idea of a sexy someone showing up unexpectedly and surprising me there was a persistent fantasy. 

 

The idea makes me hot even now…make that especially now that I can put a specific face to the fantasy. And I reach a hand down and search blindly for the bottle of Fentiman’s sparking Rose Lemonade that I’d brought out of the house with me.

 

I uncap the bottle and take a long, satisfying sip and then return it to the grass. The result of all these maneuvers is to set the hammock swinging gently. I sigh happily, wriggling a little to get even more comfortable, and am just contemplating whether or not to take a short nap when the sound of someone’s clearing their throat startles me.

 

I jump a little in surprise. Opening my eyes I find Colton standing at the edge of the drive. The heat in his gaze makes me wish I was wearing my swimsuit now—or even less. A sheer and filmy robe perhaps? Makes me yearn to invite him to share my hammock…even though I’m not convinced it would support both our weight.

 

“Hey,” I say, smiling at him. “What are you doing here?” 

 

But I know the answer to that, don’t I? The fact that he’s wearing his uniform, and a sheepish expression lets me know that this is an official visit. He’s here in his guise of Deputy Romero. Which can only mean one thing.

 

“Oh, you’re kidding,” I say as I swing my feet to the ground and sit up. “What obscure and ridiculous law have I run afoul of this time?”



Now, hop on over to Jill Haymaker's page to read her flash fiction. And don't forget to check out her book, Return to Pine Meadows




Return to Pine Meadows

Pre-order your copy now. Release is just two weeks away.. A heartfelt romance about coming home, family, and an enemy who may just become so much more. Sometimes the last place you want to be, is where you belong.




The Children of Night series

Part One


Night has fallen. The Vampires are waking up. Welcome to the world of the Fischer-Quintano vampires–darkly delicious tales of undying love and vampire family values.


 https://books.bookfunnel.com/bookswithbite1/kb6qfgtd39 



No comments: