2024-01-02

Wine Wednesday: Ménage à Trois Midnight




As a general rule, I really enjoy Ménage à Trois wines. As I've mentioned before, I think a lot of that is because I have good associations with the Folie à Deux winery in Napa. However Midnight has always been one of my favorites. I  like red wines that are dark and full bodied and this definitely qualifies. I also tend to like a lot of tannins, which this doesn't have. But that might be in part because the bottle I opened (on Christmas Eve Eve) is from 2019, and is therefore softer than the newer vintages might be. I have several bottles of red wine from the 2010s, and I'm going to have to bite the bullet and start opening them sooner rather than later.

I'm not living in California anymore, so it's always somewhat wrenching to watch my stock get depleted when getting more is no longer a ten minute drive.

But, getting back to the wine. The label talks about black cherry and mocha. To me, the aromas are more raspberry and cocoa and maybe a hint of tobacco. The taste is lovely, very fruit forward. And the finish--ah, there are the tannins!--is dry, with once again a hint of tobacco leaf. 

I  would pair this with a pork roast or turkey. Maybe pumpkin ravioli or stuffed acorn squash. I think beef or anything with tomato sauce would overpower it. 

I probably should have opened it at Thanksgiving. But, as Viriginia Madsen's character says in Sideways, "The day you open a '61 Cheval Blanc, that's the special occasion." And I  suppose the same holds true here. Tonight was the perfect time for me to enjoy it. Cheers!




 
 

 

No comments: