2024-02-07

Wine Wednesday: Valley of the Moon Pinot Gris Viognier 2022



 Today's wine is a rather unusual blend of Pinot Gris and Viognier. When I say "unusual" I mean it's not a combination that I would necessarily have ever thought of, what with Pino Gris being crisp and dry and Viognier being lush and creamy. 

On the other hand, it's an interesting blend that doesn't really taste like either varietal. So...mission accomplished, I guess? It's a lovely pale gold in color with a rather full-bodied creamy taste. It's like an alternative Chardonnay. By which I mean it doesn't really taste like Chardonnay, but it tastes more like Chardonay than anything else. 

Yeah, it's like that.

Likewise, there's a lemon chiffon aroma that's not exactly citrusy. More like lemon yogurt than lemon, if that makes sense. 

There are also notes of green apple and pear candy along with something more elusive. Honey dew, perhaps? It has a creamy mouth feel with hints of peach and vanilla. If Viognier is my idea of the perfect picnic wine, then this would be a really good candidate for my ideal Sunday afternoon hanging out on a boat with friends wine. I know. Pretty specific, huh? 

I have no idea what I would pair this wine with, other than a fire pit. Or a beach. Roast chicken, perhaps? Apples and cheddar cheese? Dessert? It might hold up okay against a spicy jambalaya. Honestly, it's great all by itself. 

For info on what books I'd pair it with, check out this post on my "other" blog: 

https://oberoncalifornia.blogspot.com/2024/02/what-im-reading-post-for-wednesday.html

The wine was bottled by Valley of the Moon Winery. The grapes themselves were grown on the Madrone Vineyard Estate. And I regret that I didn't get to either when I lived there. But they're both going on the list.




No comments: