2024-10-16

Wine Wednesday: Becker Vineyards 2022 High Plains Viognier


 

As I'm sure I've mentioned, I love Viognier--and this is a good one. It's medium gold--a real Chardonnay-looking wine. The nose is sweet and floral. It smells like a combination of everything honey related; like honeydew melon, honeysuckle, and honey comb. The taste is smooth and off-dry with notes of citrus and spice, a hint of mango and a vanilla custard finish. 

I know I always say that Viognier is a perfect picnic wine, but I don't actually know what I'd pair this with--other than croissants and breakfast pastries. Although, I suppose it could probably stand up to something more substantial. Grilled tuna. Maybe some sweeter, milder root vegetables--carrots, turnips, Yukon gold potatoes--or something like that. 

This is a gentle wine. A 'hang out with your friends in the park on a Sunday afternoon in the summer or early fall type of wine. 





No comments: