2023-10-18

Wine Wednesday: Frog's Leap Zinfandel

 

For today's inaugural post, I'd like to introduce you all to a wine I just discovered this week. Frog's Leap Winery (not to be confused with the much better known Stag's Leap--more on THAT in a bit!) has the CUTEST website of any winery that I've ever seen. Although I don't really know that I should have been quite so surprised, given the winery's name AND its logo:  "Time's Fun When You're Having Flies!"  

There's something immensely whimsical about the name, the site, the story...and dare I say the wine?

This is not anything like your typical Paso Robles Zin--which tends to be big and bold with massive tannins--and is, hands down, pretty much my favorite type of wine.  To the extent that I even have a favorite. 

This zinfandel is softer, gentler zin. It's old-skool zin.  The kind of wine that even my non-wine-drinking-husband (I know! Right? But, on the other hand, someone's gotta be the designated driver, so...) likes to drink doesn't mind tasting.

And yes, I am cringing a little right now because I know how that sounds. I've had my share of "wines for people who don't like wine," and I know how genuinely awful those wines can be. This is NOT one of those wines. It reminds me very much of some of the wines I used to get at Coppola, which actually makes a lot of sense, now that I'm thinking about it, since both wineries are/were located in teeny, tiny, little Rutherford. All I can say about that is, terroir tells! 

Also, what would you expect from a winemaker who helped bottle the '73 Stag's Leap Cab (the wine that won the first Judgment of Paris in '76) and has been making Zinfandel on his own since 1981?  

Or, to quote Eliza Dushku's character (Joe) in Bottle Shock: "What were you expecting, Thunderbird?"

Anyway, check out the super-cute website here: https://www.frogsleap.com/

This winery is going on my just-dreamed-up-this-minute Winery Wishlist of places I plan on hitting the next time I'm in Napa.




No comments: