2022-06-21

Romance Writers Weekly ~ Things We Do Well ~ #LoveChatWrite

 

This week on the Romance Writers Weekly Blog Hop we're being asked to "Name something in your writing that you do really well. It can be a trope or the way you write your heroes. Tell us why this works for you and why readers love it."

You know, this would be a whole lot easier to answer if I wasn't suffering from Imposter Syndrome. If that evil voice who lives in a closet in the back of my head weren't softly asking, "IS there anything in your writing that you do even moderately well?" I'll try to ignore it...

I guess I want to say I'm good at world-building. But, I think I might have been better at that once than I am right now. It takes a lot of focus and attention to keep all those plates spinning, to keep track of all the characters and how they've interacted with each other in the past, to remember all the rules you set up when you first started building your world, or writing your series. It's not that I think I've lost the ability, but life is definitely getting in the way of that at the moment. 

I think readers appreciate good world building because when the author has put in the work and done his or her job in terms of creating their fictional world, then there are less inconsistencies to distract them and detract from their experience. It's also one of the reasons I prefer to set my stories in fictional locations, and why I have a love/hate relationship with books that are set in places that I've lived in or loved visiting. I'm constantly comparing the characters' reactions with my own.

I also like writing people who aren't perfect. Heroes--and heroines, too--who are flawed or wounded but who still manage to come through when needed. I think there are two parts to this. I love showing that even imperfect people can find (and be worthy of) true love. And I love writing main characters who are madly in love with the man/woman/people with whom they're in a relationship. I think the reason readers love that is because we all (most?) see ourselves as less than perfect so it's comforting to be shown examples (even fictional ones) of people just like us (or even WORSE!) being loved just as they are.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Now hop over to A.S. Fenichel's page and learn about what she does well. And be sure to check out her returning series, The Forever Brides:


The Forever Brides are coming back on August 9 with pretty new covers. PreOrder them now if you missed them the first time around. 

These three women will settle for nothing less than the greatest love, but getting their HEAs might lead to some trouble.

PreOrder the series here:



COMING SOON!!


You won't want to miss the biggest and best "fill your kindle" event of the summer! 

Happening this Thursday, June 23 for ONE day only!

 https://www.romancebookworms.com

LAST CHANCE!!

https://books.bookfunnel.com/99bookssale/op34d5d3oh


OAK by PG Forte


Twice each year, Aine Murphy ventures into the woods to hold ceremonies to honor the Oak King and the Holly King, never dreaming these Lords of the Forest could be anything more than myth. When the legends spring to life in front of her, how can she help but fall for the sexy demi-gods she's loved all her life? 

 From midwinter to midsummer, Fionn O'Dair rules the Greenworld as the Oak King--a role he feels is beyond his abilities, and one that dooms him to a loveless future, forever craving the one man he can never allow himself to have. How can he resist what Aine offers--the sweet devotion that soothes his aching soul, and the slim chance to live a "normal" life as her husband, if only for half a year? Holly King 

Kieran Mac Cuilenn never desired a human lover--until now. Seeing Fionn and Aine together fills him with longing for the love he threw away and awakens feelings he thought he'd buried with the last Oak King. Is there enough magic in the solstice to correct the mistakes he made years ago? Or is he doomed to be forever left out in the cold?

Previously published as The Oak King

Buy OAK HERE


No comments: