2026-07-29

Wine Wednesday Mandola Cabernet Sauvignon

 


So, I believe this Mandola wine was made using Texas grapes, but the company is a little cagey about its sources. The restaurant (the original restaurant, I believe) got its start in partnership with a local winery (in Driftwood, TX). But--because Driftwood (and the nearby towns of Wimberley and Dripping Springs) is/are very small and somewhat insular--I've heard that the partnership went sour due to personal reasons. And now, you can't enjoy the winery's wine at the restaurant that exists basically on its grounds.   

People, am I right?

But to continue. This is the second Mandola wine I've tried. And I did get it at one of their restaurants, where I enjoyed it with a dish of cheese ravioli and tomato sauce. Because sometimes, what you really crave is something simple and basic (but still really, really good). I thought it was surprisingly soft bodied for a Cab.  The color was garnet fading to rust. On the nose were scents of violet, cedar and black cherry. The flavor held hints of vanilla, smoked oak and red currant.

I only got a single glass with my lunch (okay, it was a 9 oz pour, but still!) and now I wish I'd bought a bottle because I've been craving more of it ever since.





No comments: