2023-08-29

Romance Writers Weekly ~ Favorite Movie ~ #LoveChatWrite



 











This week, on the Romance Writers Weekly blog hop, we're asked the question: "If you could see one movie again for the first time, what would it be and why?"

Well, that's an interesting question. My first instinct was to say something like Practical Magic or Field of Dreams--because I love them both and  they feel like the kinds of story I write. Or maybe one of Lawrence Kasdan's films from the 80s--The Big Chill or Silverado, because they're just perfectly filmed movies--and they both have big ensemble casts. Also similar to my books. 

But I think I'm going to go with Star Wars--the ORIGINAL film (AKA Episode Four, A New Hope). I don't know what it was that made that film such a cultural event. I didn't know then, either. But I do remember lining up for hours to watch it--over and over and over again. 

It had such a huge impact on society, and as I said, I never quite understood why. But I do think it would be fun to watch it again WITHOUT knowing everything that came after. Without knowing about the body-shaming issues Carrie Fischer had to deal with while making the films; without knowing about the accident that would change Mark Hamill's face. And without the weirdness that has filtered in thanks to the subsequent films. I'd really like to watch it again without thinking, "Is Luke really going to kiss his sister?" "Did Darth Vader just torture his own daughter?"

There's a lesson there, I think, for authors of series. And the lesson is: THINK THINGS THROUGH BEFOREHAND. Because, otherwise, ICK! 

Now, hop on over to Jenna Da Sie's page to find out what movie she'd like to watch again for the first time.  






Now Available for Pre-Order!

Scent of the Roses
Oberon Book 1.0


For years, Scout Patterson has tried to run from the mistakes in her past.  Now, she's coming home--to face the ghosts she's never laid to rest, and the love she thought she'd lost forever.  

Memories and dreams may be the only things that have gotten Nick Greco through the past twenty years.  Memories of the girl he loved and lost, dreams of what his life would be like if he could only find her again.

 Can these star-crossed lovers put aside the hurt and distrust they still harbor toward each other?  Or will the evil—which already nearly destroyed them once—triumph yet again?

No comments: