2022-08-16

Romance Writers Weekly ~ A Writer's Beginning ~ #LoveChatWrite


The topic for this week's Romance Writer's Weekly blog hop is, "When did you start to write and why?"

The answer depends on what you mean by "start". Like most writers I know, I've been making up poems and stories and song lyrics for as long as I can remember. But I remember exactly when and why I started writing the story that would become my first published book. So let's go with that.

My kids were in elementary school when it occurred to me that they didn't think of me as a writer. It's how I thought of myself, and I had documentary scripts and PSAs, poems, two years as a columnist for a photography magazine, and one published short story, to back up my claim. But most of that had been before their time. So I began writing Scent of the Roses.

It wasn't the first time I started a novel, but now I had a reason to finish it. Once it was done, I started another, just to see if I could do it again. My family was less than thrilled, at that point. One book was a nice thing that Mommy was doing. TWO BOOKS, on the other hand, meant more work and less attention for everyone else. I think I was on book four before it occurred to me that I could probably keep writing--and finishing--books for as long as I wanted to. 

Honestly, at this point, I don't know what else I'd do with myself. So, I guess I'll just keep going.

Now hop over to Leslie Hachtel's page and learn about how she got started writing. And be sure to check out her book, Bound to Morocco, Book One in the Morocco series.



Abandoned and alone on a ship, Lady Shera must find a way back to England. She gets assistance from an unlikely source: the man who kidnapped her. When their partnership turns to love, the two must face constant danger to endure. But will they ever be free?

Buy it here: https://amzn.to/3T1YvBl



The Oberon series was my first published series. I got the rights to it back a few years ago, and had planned on releasing it then, but I was dismayed by how dated some of it seemed. I spent some time trying to determine how much work (and money) it would take to bring it up to date, and decided: Too Much. Plus, with so many people who've written me over the years saying they loved the series...I didn't want to re-write TOO MUCH and spoil those memories.

Soooo...I will be releasing them (starting next year) in a special 20th year anniversary edition, complete with annotations by the author. It's going to be so much fun to revisit all my old haunts. And, who knows, maybe I'll finally get the inspiration I need to finish all the unfinished Oberon novellas and Christmas stories that live on my computer's backup drive?

In the meantime, you can get a taste of Oberon for FREE when you sign up for my newsletter.




Love wasn't always strawberries and cream for Lucy and Dan Cavanaugh...or was it? In this Oberon prequel, we travel back in time to see how it all began. 

Most of the material in this prequel novella (set some eighteen years before the series begins) also appears as flashback scenes in A Taste of Honey.


There are more freebies and goodies on the Oberon Series Page of my website. Click here for info:  https://www.pgforte.com/the-oberon-series

No comments: