2008-03-05

Geek Love

So, okay, we're blogging about nerds this week over on the Wicked Whispers Authors' blog, which got me thinking about the subject of Nerds and Geeks...not that I know what the difference is. IS there a difference?

Does anyone know? Does anyone care?

Anyway, since I'm the Whisperette in charge of hotties for the month of March, it's a subject I had to think about. A lot. Because, to tell you the truth, hot nerds is not my usual fare. But they're up there now, so go, check 'em out. Tell me how I did. There's a potential prize in it...

To be honest, when I first thought of hot nerds my mind immediately went to fiction, not photos. So, I'm tossing in a mention of my favorite hot nerd Dexter Travis from Jodi Lynn Copeland's excellent story, Somebody's Hero. Mmm. Hot jungle love.

Since I've sworn off saying 'I'll never write a book about (fill in the blank)', I'm sure that someday I'm going to end up writing a story with a nerd/geek for a hero too.

Maybe.

I'm not usually a fan, however, which probably explains why, out of all my heroes I can't really think of one who qualifies for the title.

Well, okay, possibly Mike from Let Me Count the Ways. He is an accountant, after all, but far less nerdy than Claire, perhaps, suspects. As this excerpt perhaps will show...

In this scene, Mike is attempting to impress Claire (who's just picked him up after a party) by giving her a hot stone massage...

"I believe you said something about a massage?" Claire murmured in teasing tones.

"Hmm?" I wrenched my eyes away with difficulty. My gaze drifted up towards her face, taking the slow, scenic route past all her naked glory. "What?"

Claire arched one eyebrow. "My massage?"

Crap. So much for repairing the damage I’d done with my earlier performance. Here I was, acting like an ass all over again.

"Right." Standing, I gathered up her clothes. "Why don’t you roll over on your stomach and I’ll get started.

Averting my eyes as she repositioned herself on the bed, I dropped Claire’s stockings and garter on top of her shoes. Her panties I let fall in the space between the table and the bed where I hoped they’d go unnoticed.

Inexcusable, I know, but given how badly I was screwing up, I suspected this was likely to be a one time event. That being the case, I knew I’d need something with which to console myself in the years ahead.

I lifted the bottle of massage oil from the pot of water, where I’d put it to warm up, and poured some into my palm. The heady sweet scents of almond, honey amber and musk filled the air as I rubbed my hands together. Using a light effleurage stroke I quickly covered Claire’s back with the oil, and then coated her arms and legs as well. Then I turned away to remove the first rock from the pot.

"Well, that was very nice," Claire said as she started to get up. "Thank you."

I glanced at her over my shoulder and frowned. "No you don’t. Where do you think you’re going? Lie back down. We’re just getting started."

She looked surprised, but she did as I said. I squirted oil over the stone in my hand and then turned back to her.

"That was not the massage," I said as I brushed the hair away from her neck and then began to gently rub the stone in small circles down her neck and across her shoulder. "That was just getting you ready. Are you always this impatient?"

"Yes," she replied, biting the word out sharply, and I couldn’t decide whether her tone was teasing or annoyed. "Actors have very short attention spans. Are you always so bossy?"

I sighed. "Probably. I’ve been running my own company for a long time now. I guess I’ve gotten used to it."

"Hmph," she muttered darkly. "You have an answer for everything, don’t you?" And then we both fell silent. The muscles at the back of her neck were knotted. I rubbed harder. I’d been right about the tension. For an instant, I actually considered telling her that. Luckily, I reconsidered the impulse. Being right was a lot like being boss. Invaluable in business but, more often than not, a complication everywhere else.

"Omigod," Claire murmured a moment later. "What is that? Whatever you’re doing, it feels wonderful."

"Haven’t you ever had a hot stone massage? The heat is supposed to help relax the muscles and the pressure is different from what you can get using just your hands."

"I see. I guess you must do this sort of thing often."

I switched hands and went to work on the other side of her neck. "Well, no, I wouldn’t say often. Occasionally though."

"So... you just happened to have everything you needed on hand? Is that what you’re telling me?"

"It doesn’t take much, you know. Just massage oil. Rocks. A pot to heat them up in. It’s really pretty simple."

"Simple. Right." Claire shook her head. "Amazing. Fashion. Architecture. Decorating. Classic cars. Hot stone massage. Next thing you’ll tell me is that you mix your own massage oil too."

My hand faltered. "Well, yeah, actually, I—I did."

"Unbelievable. Mike, are you sure you’re an accountant?"

I laughed. "I guess you’d better hope I am, huh?"

"I guess so," she muttered. "Jeez. You’re full of surprises tonight."

"Good surprises, I hope?" I quipped lightly.

Claire sighed and it was a moment before she answered. "Very good. Just very... unexpected."

©2007 PG Forte All Rights Reserved








No comments: