2024-03-24

Movie Monday: Yesterday


 Today's post is actually a two-fo--music AND a movie.  See, it's my grandson's birthday today and that put me in mind of the Beatles' Birthday Song. My son actually has the same birthday as George Harrison and my birthday is two days later, so we often found ourselves listening to this song on our birthdays. My grandson, not so much. But it's a great song and you can give it a listen here:



So it's probably not going to surprise anyone to learn that I love movies with a bit of magic. Add in romance, humor, and an alternate reality and you have my perfect film. Which Yesterday comes pretty close to being. 

Musician Jack Malick is about to give up on his dreams of making a name for himself. Then he gets hit by a bus and wakes up in a world where the Beatles never existed. He starts playing Beatles  music (what he can remember of it) and ends up with a recording contract and a good deal of fame.

Along the way he also discovers a few other things that are different or missing in his new reality and those are revealed with the perfect amount of subtlety and understatement. The whole movie is beautifully done and I really don't understand why it didn't win more awards. 




No comments: