2024-04-17

Wine Wednesday: Westcave Cellars 2019 Viognier

 


I'm sure I've mentioned how much I love Viognier. Hands down it's my favorite white wine. Which is ironic considering that my favorite wine drinking friend--who loves white wine the way I love red--absolutely abhors Viognier. (a fact which I forget on a regular basis, and in much the same way that  I forget that my pie-loving son dislikes rhubarb pie.) 

But to continue...

Today's wine is a very nice Viognier from Westcave Cellars in Johnson City. Up until now, Johnson City has simply been the place where we stop to charge our Tesla on the way to Fredericksburg. But after trying this wine...I think we should stop there for more than that. 

The main aroma is pear drop candy--sweet and fruity with hints of vanilla. The tasting notes from Westcave mention jasmine and citrus but I'm getting none of that. On the other hand, pear drop candy has a luscious smell, so I'm not missing the floral notes at all. On the palate it's dry and complex and I definitely get the citrus notes there. In fact there's almost a Limoncello flavor to it--except dry. There's also a very green, herbal flavor to it and, after breathing for awhile, a more pronounced saline flavor

This is a very drinkable wine. Viognier has always been my go-to wine for picnics, but this is not a bread-and-cheese kind of wine at all. It's a little too complex for that. I'd pair this with dessert--rhubarb pie, for example--or maybe fresh oysters or a very simple pasta dish--Aglio e Olio, or Pasta al Limone.

Or, you know, you could just drink it by itself. That would work too. 



No comments: