2012-11-05

The Baked Pumpkin


I love pumpkin. I love it so much, I plan on devoting all of November to the tasty squash. Each week I'm going to post a different pumpkin recipes. Here's the first...

Baked Stuffed Pumpkin
Ingredients

  • 1 small pumpkin
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 an onion, chopped
  • 2 to 4 apples, quartered
  • 1/4 cup raisins or dried cranberries 
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 1 to 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice mix
  • 1/2 cup apple cider
  • 1 teaspoon orange zest


Instructions


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Cut the top off the pumpkin--don't throw away. 
  3. Scoop out the seeds and pulp.
  4. Place pumpkin in deep baking dish. Add about an inch of water to the dish to surround the pumpkin.
  5. Melt butter in saucepan.
  6. Saute onions, apples and raisins, until onions begin to turn translucent. 
  7. Add maple syrup, spices, cider and zest.
  8. Cover and cook for about  5 or 10 minutes or until the apples begin to soften.
  9. Spoon apple mixture into the pumpkin. 
  10. Replace the top of the pumpkin and bake for approximately one hour or until pumpkin can be easily pierced with a fork.




To learn more about this series, click HERE

To buy this book on Amazon, click HERE






2 comments:

Selena Robins said...

That looks so delicious! I love pumpkin and all squashes as well.

I've never tried pumpkin this way, I make a soup and serve it in a hollowed out pumpkin.

I'm going to try this. Thanks for the recipe!

Kimberley Troutte said...

Oh my gosh, this looks amazing!
Thanks.